World

Two dead, including a child, in a bombing targeting the Taliban in Nangarhar

Taliban and health officials said that two explosive devices targeted a Taliban vehicle in eastern Afghanistan, killing at least two civilians, including a child, on Saturday. Four others were wounded.

The district police chief, Ismatullah Mubariz, said that two bombs exploded while a Taliban vehicle was passing, killing a child, adding that no Taliban fighters were hurt.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but ISIS is active in the eastern Nangarhar province, where it carries out frequent attacks against the Taliban.

A local hospital official said two bodies and four wounded civilians were taken to hospital after the attack.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.

Recently, the Islamic State has shown signs of expansion in Afghanistan with attacks in the north, south and the capital, Kabul.

The group’s ability to launch frequent attacks has cast doubt on the Taliban’s ability to maintain security and stability in the beleaguered country.

Last week, ISIS claimed responsibility for a deadly suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in southern Afghanistan, killing 47 people and wounding dozens.

This is the deadliest bombing since the dramatic US exit from the country, which allowed the Taliban to seize control of the Afghan capital.

Associated Press

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button