The Taliban beat up journalists again… to prevent covering a women’s demonstration in Kabul

Several journalists were beaten by the Taliban for preventing coverage of a women’s demonstration in central Kabul on Thursday.

This group of twenty women were exceptionally able to walk through the center of Kabul for more than an hour and a half to defend their right to study and work, without being beaten or arrested by the Taliban.

The demonstrators chanted “unemployment, poverty and hunger” and “we want to work” as they demanded the reopening of girls’ schools.
The demonstrators, who were surrounded by Taliban security forces, held small banners that read, “We have no right to work.”

The Taliban broke up the last women’s demonstration on September 30 within minutes.

On the other hand, the media present were prevented from approaching or filming the march and the Taliban fighters violently confronted the journalists.

A journalist was beaten with the butt of a rifle, then expelled from the march and threatened by a Taliban member present. Some of the elements were armed with AK-47 or M-16 machine guns.

The women were not physically attacked during the march but on several occasions the Taliban tried to interrupt them, especially verbally. One of the organizations said that they decided to break up the demonstration, and none of them were arrested

“This is the situation. The Taliban do not respect anything, neither journalists, nor locals, nor foreigners, nor women,” one of the organizations, Zahra Mohammadi, told AFP.
“My message to all the girls in this country is, ‘Don’t be afraid of the Taliban, and even if you don’t allow your families to leave the house, don’t be afraid, get out and come make sacrifices,'” the activist said. Fight for your rights, this must be done so that things can change for the next generation.”

About a month and a half ago, two Afghan journalists told Agence France-Presse about the beatings they suffered after being held for hours by the “Taliban” after their arrest for covering a protest in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

According to Agence France-Presse, the two men were arrested during a demonstration and taken to a police station in the capital, where they said they were punched, beaten with batons, electric wires and whips after they were accused of organizing the protest

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button