The tragedy of rape on the Pennsylvania train.. They filmed the incident and did not intervene

Pennsylvania police say commuters on a train in Pennsylvania used their phones to film a man’s rape of a woman for more than 40 minutes, rather than stepping in to help her.

One official explained that there were less than 10 people present, “enough to intervene” to save the woman, but instead all they did was film the incident

The chief of police for the Southeast Pennsylvania Transportation Authority said he alleges that the assailant, Victor Ngoy, 35, continued to grope, harass, and assault the woman throughout the period between at least 24 train stations on the Markford Line in the Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority (Cepta). “.

Police officials said that not a single witness to the attack bothered to call 911 and ask to intervene as the man, believed to be homeless, continued to assault the woman.

The man and woman were seen boarding the train at the same station on the night of the attack, which took place around 11 pm on October 13. The man was initially seen sitting next to the woman and trying to have a conversation with her, but gradually turned aggressive and began harassing her.

A Cepta employee, who witnessed the attack, called 911 and authorities responded within 3 minutes, The Independent reported

The incident was recorded by the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority’s surveillance cameras, and it is being investigated whether some of the train’s passengers recorded the assault .

“I can tell you that people were holding their smartphones in the direction this woman was attacked,” said Cepta Police Chief Thomas J. Nestle III.

 “What we want is for everyone to feel angry and disgusted and to be resolute to make the system safer,” he added.

The accused man was arrested and charged with rape and assault, and is still being held on $180,000 bail. He is due to appear in court next week on October 25.

According to the arrest certificate, it appears that the woman pushed Ngwi repeatedly. Court documents showed the woman said he ignored her pleas for him to leave

The police statement to the accused showed that the man claimed to know the victim but did not remember her name or identity, and also claimed that the meeting was consensual.

The police chief expressed his disappointment with the silence by witnesses, and issued a statement calling the assault a “horrific criminal act”, urging people who witness such incidents to report to the authorities by calling 911, pressing the emergency button on each train or Use of emergency safety applications. by the authorities.

“There were other people on the train who witnessed this horrific act, and it could have been stopped quickly had a passenger called 911,” Cepta said in a statement.

The woman was taken to the hospital and treated for her injuries after the assault

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button